It’s a kind of madness!
Administering a web site and running a blog is actually a pretty simple business, but it does change your life! It’s easy because these days when you get any number of idiot-proof open-source applications that do all the messing around for you. (Of course, it helps if you have helpful friends who hold your hand through sticky processes!)
And it changes your life because you pretty soon become obsessed with your online presence to the detriment of your offline one! 😛 Here are five ways that being a webmaster—webmistress, if you like—has changed my life:
- I go, “Oh, that’s awful/lovely! I must write about it in my blog!” whenever I see anything notable.
- I have to check my mail a thousand times a day and my blog admin section another thousand times to see if I’ve got any comments/feedback.
- I feel obliged to tinker with the innards of the system, and basically fix whatever’s not broken so it gets broken so I can fix it and feel good!
- I’ve become a web design junkie, lurking in design forums, and starting on new designs every other week. (Coming last in a design contest 😳 doesn’t seem to have battered my ego into making a dignified retreat. Some people just never learn, you see!).
- I feel mortally offended if all my online friends, and some offline ones as well, do not respond to my posts.
You have been warned!