Evidently, with passing age one’s interest in birthdays and getting presents is supposed to wane. However, having had thirty of them has done absolutely to quench my thirst—*cough* greed *cough*…
Anyhow, I was extremely pleased with my haul this time around. Perhaps it was the “thirty” thing that made people generous! The guilt was too much for my parents, who produced me three decades ago, and it encashed itself in the form of an iPod Nano! At first I thought nothing else could possibly top that, but I was wrong… I got lots of stuff, and I wouldn’t excange anything for anything else!
So, here’s a list, as comprehensive as my aging memory can manage:
- Parents: iPod Nano.
- Significant Other: 10 Reginald Hill books (to complete my Dalziel and Pascoe collection); Steve Waugh’s autobiography; Black&White Deluxe; Medal of Honour… and I’m sure I’m missing something.
- Sister: Faber Castell fountain pen; light blue sweater (both from Frankfurt)
- Significant Other’s Mother a.k.a. mother-in-law: Money! Decency forbids me from saying how much, but it was A LOT! With it I bought two CDs (Bollywood oldies collections); two Tamora Pierce books; one Faye Kellerman book. Thinking what to buy with the leftover stuff.
- Aunt in Calcutta: Money, with which I bought MLTR’s India Tour Edition CD that I’d been wanting for ages.
- Granny: Money (on it’s way! Yay!).
- Cousin (the one who works in CNN-IBN): Adidas sweater (that I LOVE!).
- Marie: Simlish e-card! (For those who don’t understand this, don’t try!).
- Niklas: e-Chocolate cake!
- Laura: Her exact words were, “I will give you my love as a present. That should be enough.”
- My publishers: NOTHING! Not even my book! 👿 *burn with rage*
Of course, this doesn’t include the calls and messages and mails—not to mention an entire Happy Birthday thread at Moiraine’s World!
It feels good to be thirty!
10 Replies to “Loot list!”
Well, it *was* enough, wasn’t it? 😛
“One should never trust a woman who tells her real age. If she tells that, she’ll tell anything.”
Oscar Wilde said that! So I’m not sure I believe you really got all that stuff…
Simlish will take over the world! And our slogan shall be, but of course, shooflee?! Or maybe dag-dag. Or nooboo. Or kamora…or…
Belated Happy Birthday, Payal.
As for the gift, you have got a blog fan in me. Will that suffice? 🙂
Heard of return gifts 🙂
Will you update all ready?!
belated wishes Payal!!! it was great hanging out with you in delhi and i am sooo jealous about the Nano! although i don’t think i can get one for some time… i am just about getting used to my digital camera 🙂 seriously.
Happy birthday!! Belated, though, am very sorry about that!
Can’t believe you got all that stuff … I’m turning 30 too, this year, and I know I’ll feel terribly old and miserable if I don’t get gifts approximating at least half of yours!!
As for my gift – I went to the book fair and bought a copy of your book in a effort to get you some royalties … 😀