Here we go again, time to get excited about turning yet another year older. I’ll be honest: my favourite part about birthdays is cake (chocolate) and presents (many), not necessarily in that order. But because I don’t want to appear shallow, it helps to also make it about reflecting on the year gone by and think about what to expect in the next 365 days.
Here’s what I’d hoped to fill 2016 with:
- Implement the new design for Writeside.net. (It got a bit complicated. Long story.)
Finish writing a book.(DONE, DONE and DONE! Yep, got two coming out this year, one an MG novel and the other a collaborative effort with another author. The US edition of Eat the Sky, Drink the Ocean is also out this year.)
- Stay healthier than I managed in 2015. (Oops, that one might have come undone a bit.)
Travel somewhere fun.(Done. Spent two weeks in the UK) Work on the workshops.(Done! Devika Rangachari and I started Royal Blue. We did three independent workshops, and have just wrapped up a 15-session creative writing programme in Amity International School, Saket, New Delhi.) Play more games.(Done! Would have been nice to get a bit more time for gaming, but shouldn’t complain.)
So, all in all, not as bad as it could have been.
But it’s that day again, so time for a brand new list, with new resolutions and aims. Here goes:
- Write (and/or finish) a fantasy novel: At the moment I don’t care if it’s one of my unfinished projects or series, or a new standalone novel. I just want to get back into fantasy.
- Start running again: Okay, I know realistically there isn’t a chance in hell of this happening if I continue to live in Delhi and if my knees don’t magically regenerate, so let’s downgrade this to “get fit enough so I can theoretically start running again”.
- Redo Writeside.net: Not just a new design, but maybe rethink what I’m doing with the site.
- Blog regularly: Plan in place.
- Keep playing games: My huge gaming backlog is getting huger as I keep buying games but not playing quite so much. But I’m going to do my best.
- Try self-publishing: Stay tuned for more on this.
- Travel somewhere interesting: As usual.
That’s all folks. Let’s see where we are 365 days from now.