They call it the idiot box, but is it really that idiotic? Without TV there would be no Doctor Who (and Torchwood), and where would we have learnt the following important lessons:
- Always wear comfortable shoes for you never know when you might have to run from aliens. (This rule doesn’t apply if you are Laura Holt or Dana Scully. Then you may wear high heels.)
- Size doesn’t matter, because it might just be bigger on the inside.
- Don’t move to London. It is very traumatic living there. No, not just terror threats, but those 1950s-telephone-box chases down the motorway, alien invasions, hospitals disappearing, upside-down raining, Daleks in the sky, Cybermen on the streets…
- If your boss is a good-looking, charismatic guy with an American accent who’s a bit cagey about his past, he’s probably an omnisexual(!) and immortal 51st-century con man trapped in our time. And if you happen to be near death, have him close by so he can kiss you better.
- In a hi-tech crisis, you’ll always know which buttons to press and levers to pull; how to reboot entire systems, launch spaceships, activate backup or auxilliary controls, access backdoors, switch to alternative power sources, and so on. So don’t worry, and no need to read the manual.