Thinking of getting your own website? Not a bad idea. But here’s a really good tip — when you choose your domain name, write it down and read it. Carefully. Make other people read it. Then read it yourself again.
This can’t be stressed enough: Make really you sure your URL says exactly what you think it does. If you slip up, you could end like the following sites who dashed the expectations of their visitors:
- Penisland.com really is only selling pens.
- Whorepresents.com has nothing to do with the world’s oldest profession.
- Expertsexchange.com will not help with transition surgery.
- Speedofart.com does not sell smelly swimwear.
- Molestationnursery.com is really safer than it sounds.
- As is Therapistfinder.com.
- Powergenitalia.com isn’t a site about dirty superhero stories.
- IPanywhere.com isn’t a threat.
(This list is nicked from here, who may have a few more examples.)
No, really, what does your URL say?